Sunday, November 28, 2004

Waiting

Waiting
-rey

She is nibbling on her nails again. I wonder what it is this time. Hmmm. I checked my watch, two in the morning, she is still dressed in her party clothes but she has been home since midnight. I checked my alarm clock, a minute past two in the morning, yup, it is two. She is definitely waiting for something. She is not a nocturnal creature like I am. I'm sure something is up. She lays on her bed right beside mine, gets under the sheets, then out of them and then back in. She twists and turns once, twice, three times. I stare at her eyes, i see a mix of anxiety, worry and anger, but no tears. Still not a pretty sight.

An hour passes, she tries to reach for the phone, then stops short of reaching it. She looks at me then covers her face with her blanket.

Another hour passes, she checks her watch and grunts.

Five in the morning, I find myself still watching her as she waits for something. Exactly three minutes past the hour, the phone rings. She frantically sweeps the phone off its cradle. "Hello? Hello?!" she says hysterically. "How dare you?! Of all people!" She begins. A series of near screams, high pitched tones and near tears outbursts came forth. And after seven minutes and 24 seconds later she hungs up slowly and gently.

Then she looks at me, her beautiful green eyes made even clearer by the tears waiting to fall. "Sorry about that Rey. Good night and good morning." She takes off her clothes leaving just her favorite pink and blue striped panties on and she heads back under the sheets. I reset my alarm for nine in the morning. "Good night and good morning to you too." Then I turned to face the window and prepared to go back to sleep.

A minute later she crept under my sheets and hugged me. "Rey, was that all I was waiting for?" Her voice clearly starting to break again, and tears ready to fall. "No, please do not answer that question." She said even before I could utter a word. "Hold me." I did, and we drifted off to sleep.